Compiles and maintains personnel records, performs new employee orientation, schedules employee meetings, provides information to employees about employee benefit plans, worker's compensation procedures, and special company events by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Record Keeping and Human Resource File Maintenance:
1. Compiles, updates, and maintains employee files or records including insurance and pension plan records, personnel transactions such as new hires, promotions, transfers, performance reviews, disciplinary actions, and termination.
2. Compiles employee statistics for management and government reporting purposes.
3. Examines employee files to answer inquiries, and provides information to authorized persons.
4. Reviews monthly Teamster invoices for accuracy for the Teamsters Health & Welfare and Pension Funds and union dues.
5. Processes credit union and direct deposit changes for payroll deductions. Assists payroll in reviewing weekly edits for corrections and accuracy in payroll deduction changes.
6. Processes employment applications and assists in other employment activities. Screens applications to select candidates for vacant hourly positions, performs reference checks.
7. Schedules pre-employment physicals and drug and alcohol screens. Schedules and conducts new employee orientation.
8. Prepares employee separation notices and related documentation and conducts exit interviews to determine reasons for employee separations. Refers exiting employees to Human Resources Manager if reason for separation warrants further investigation.
9. Responds to inquiries regarding policies, procedures, and programs, or refers employee to the Human Resource Manager or Plant Manager if appropriate.
10. Maintains knowledge of legal requirements and government reporting regulations affecting human resource functions and ensure that policies, procedures, and reporting are in compliance. Knowledge of PA Worker's Compensation claim procedures, PA Unemployment Claim procedures, Family and Medical leave, employment discrimination and equal employment opportunity regulations, fair employment practices if necessary.
11. Makes recommendations for improvement in interviewing, hiring, and employment procedures if appropriate.
12. Participates in the administration of employee benefits programs including life insurance, medical insurance, dental insurance, short and long term disability plans, 401K plan, vacation, and employee assistance programs.
13. Notifies new employees of eligibility and assists in completing enrollment forms. Answers inquiries about benefit plans according to summary plan descriptions and administration manuals.
14. Consults with Corporate Benefits Manager and Plant Human Resources Manager on plan features, administration and on unusual employee requests when appropriate.
15. Schedules and assists at benefits open enrollment and information meetings after consulting with plant management.
16. Schedules and assists in organizing training for employees.
17. Schedules and organizes special company events such as the annual picnic, blood drives, and flu shots.
18. Assists management in the preparation and posting of bulletin board notices communicating company events, policy changes, etc.
Safety and Workers' Compensation Activities:
19. Assists in safety committee communications such as posting of safety minutes.
20. Participates in the process of accident investigation with supervision and the filing of workers' compensation claims.
21. Assists Human Resource Manager and plant supervision in determining employee restrictions from medical evaluations, light duty assignments, and return to work dates.
1. Relieves receptionist of switchboard responsibilities and monitors automated attendant/voice mail phone system.
2. Keeps Human Resource Assistant offices clean and well organized.
3. Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
One year certificate from college or technical school; or three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Lotus Notes Contact Management systems; Microsoft Access Database software; Human Resource systems; Internet software; Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet software and Microsoft Word Word Processing software.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Must have a current valid driver's license, and a Notary Public License is helpful.
Other Skills and Abilities
Ability to work with a diverse group of employees, high tolerance for ambiguity, ability to tolerate conflict and deal with conflict in a calm and conservative manner. Knowledge of Federal and State employment law and PA Workers' Compensation is necessary. Must be able to deal with human resource and payroll information in a confidential manner.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles while on the shop floor. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.